Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

An interview with LaConnie Taylor-Jones

Hello LaConnie! First, thank you so much for the opportunity to interview you, an aspiring new author in the literary industry. I would also like to congratulate you on the publication of your debut novel, When I’m With You.

Hi Renee and thanks so much for having me!!

How long did it take you to get published?

I started writing When I’m With You in August 2003 and finally completed it in May 2005. Four months later, I began working on When A Man Loves A Woman and finished it by the end of the year. However, I didn’t sell until October 2006. So, all-in-all, it was a little over three and a half years from first word to sale.

What was your reaction when you got the call/letter letting you know your manuscript had been accepted?

Believe it or not, I got the call the same day I’d been discharged from the hospital after undergoing same-day surgery. Needless to say, I left the hospital with some pretty ‘good’ drugs in my system, headed straight to bed and slept the rest of the day. My reaction was nothing short of giddy when I finally listened to the message thirty-six hours later.

How many rejection letters did you receive before you received the “one”?

Oh, Lordy . . . sixty-eight, although I received eleven requests for partials. In the end, they ended up amongst my collection of rejection letters, too.

Why did you choose to write in the romance genre versus mainstream fiction?

The romance genre drew me!!

The stories are fresh, smart and diverse. Simply put, romance fiction tells the story of two people. The only difference between romance fiction and other types of fiction is that the story centers on the love between two people and provides an optimistic ending.

I was first captivated by the genre in 1979 while a junior in college. As a matter of fact, I flunked an organic chemistry mid-term after staying up the entire night reading my first romance novel, The Flame in the Flower by the late Kathleen Woodiwiss. That night, I knew I was hooked for life.

While there are still a few romance stories stirring inside me, I’m currently working on two mainstream novels.

If there was one thing you could change about this literary journey what would it be?

Not one single thing!!! The experiences whether good, bad or ugly have helped me grow as an author. Yes, I’ve made mistakes along the way, but I’ve learned from those errors. There are some things in life only experience can teach you. Now I have better understanding of how the publishing industry really works.

Looking back over the last four years, I wouldn’t take anything for my journey.

If you had not been picked up by Genesis Press, would you have gone the self-publishing route? Why or why not?

Yes, I wouldn’t have hesitated to take the self-publishing route.

To a large degree, taboos exist for self-published authors. If you really examine things, authors who are with traditional publishers are responsible for a great deal of their own marketing and promotion, especially new authors. A major benefit for authors with a traditional publisher is the expansive distribution of their books. However, with detailed research, top-notched editing, a solid marketing plan, and industry networking, I believe self-published authors can successfully manage everything relative to their work.

Who are some of your favorite authors, and how do they influence your work?

They include and not necessarily in this order: Beverly Jenkins, Linda Howard, Brenda Jackson, Rochelle Alers and L.A. Banks, Eric Jerome Dickey, and Mary Morrison.

Being a wife and mother, both full time jobs, how do you find time to write?

Trust me, it ain’t easy!! It didn’t take me long to discover that I couldn’t write between the two hours after I’d made the cattle call to four kids and a husband that it’s time to get up while trying to whip out breakfast. There was too much hustle and bustle going on. How could I possibly write a scene when I was constantly going up and down the stairs to make certain the kids put on matching socks and clean underwear?

When I first started writing, I figured I could squeeze in writing a couple of pages during the graveyard silence while everyone ate. That only lasted about fifteen minutes. No sooner had I settled at my desk and booted up my laptop did I have to search for my stripped shirt and whistle and head back upstairs at the speed of light. A fight just broke out between two kids, although I’m not sure which two and I had to switch from writer to referee in a hurry before they kill each other. Grrrr!!!

Stumbling down the stairs, I grope in semi-darkness for my best friend, the coffeepot. The illuminated numbers indicate one o’clock in the morning. The duties of maid, cook, chauffer, doctor, business owner and referee have ended.

It’s the right to time for me to write!!

What has the reaction been to your debut novel?

Phenomenal!! The reviews have been great and readers have been really supportive.

What can we expect in the future from LaConnie Taylor-Jones?

Readers have totally embraced the Baptiste Clan and I want them to hold on to their seats. I recently sold the third saga entitled, If I Were Your Woman, which hopefully will make the ’08 production schedule. Also, there are two other Works in Progress as well. With all of this, I plan to stay pretty busy in 2008.

Thank you again for taking time out of your busy schedule to chat with me on All the Buzz! I wish you continued success in all you do!

1 Comment:

  1. Anonymous said...
    Great interview Renee.

    LaConnie, I just finished your book last week and I must say how great it was.

    By the time I reached the last page I felt like I knew these people!

    I preordered your next release and I'm impatiently waiting for it!

    Alcee needs a woman too and Janice is a wonderful name for her. :)

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home