Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

An interview with Beverly Jenkins

Good morning Beverly! Thank you so much for agreeing to this interview. I've been a fan of yours for a long time and look forward to learning a little more about you.


How long have you been writing, and how did you get your start?

I’ve been writing most of my life it seems. I was the editor of my elementary school newspaper in the 4th grade. Had no dreams of being a writer though. All I ever wanted to do was to work in a library.


Why did you choose to write historical romances instead of contemporary?

I wrote historicals because of my love of our history and because I was just writing for myself when I started Nightsong. I wasn’t writing for publication.


What made you branch out into the romantic suspense genre?

Writing romantic suspense came about when my editor asked me if I had any contemporary stories. Oddly enough, the very first book I ever submitted to Avon was a suspense and it was rejected and well it should have been because I was not the writer I am now. That story became Edge of Midnight my first published suspense. Life sure is strange!


What are your best and worst experiences as a writer?

Best was having my first book published. There is nothing like seeing your very first book for sale in the stores. Worst? Trying to meet deadlines because I’m always behind.


What is the one thing that has surprised you the most during your writing career?

Most surprising is that I’m still doing this! LOL I never knew I had 23 books and counting in me or that the readers would embrace my stories the way they have.


How long does it take you to write a novel?

I write two books a year.


Do you write full time, or do you split your time between work and writing?

I write full time.


What authors influence your work?

I grew up a voracious reader and I read everything, so I’d like to think that every author I’ve ever read has gone into making me the writer that I am. I always tell aspiring writer that the writer who reads the most books and reads widely, wins.


Who are some of your favorite authors/books?

Favorites - Some are historians like John Hope Franklin, Dorothy Sterling and Benjamin Quarles. Faith writer - Anne Lamott. YA writers - JK Rowling and Rick Riordan. Mysteries - Walter Mosley and Steve Barnes. Paranormal - My sistah writer LA Banks and Jim Butcher.


If you could pass on one tidbit of knowledge to your fans and aspiring writers, what would it be and why?

Finish the book! When we are aspiring and unpublished we spend a lot more time talking about writing a book as opposed to writing the thing.


What does a normal day in the life of Beverly Jenkins consist of?

Hectic. Crazy. I’m like one of those plate spinning acts that used to be featured on the old Ed Sullivan show. I’m active in my community and my church. I also like to garden so trying to put my butt in the chair to write is a challenge sometimes.


What are three things your fans don't know about you?

That I am the oldest of seven. Never graduated from college. Never took a writing course.



Thank you again for agreeing to this interview. It's always a pleasure for me to interact with authors whose works i immensely enjoy reading, and you definitely fall into the top five!

3 Comments:

  1. TheGRITS.com said...
    Renee and Beverly, this interview is EXCELLENT!

    Beverly, I've been an avid reader of your historical romances for a very long time. But I have to tell you I'm loving the comtemporary romances just as much too. Thank you for such wonderful stories and memorable characters!

    Renee, All The Buzz looks and is FABULOUS!
    Shai said...
    Bev is my hometown girl. I love her writing and her. She is a down to earth real kinda lady.

    Good people and good things do come from Detroit.
    'Cilla said...
    As always, I always find out somthing new about Beverly Jenkins. I am always soliciting folks to buy her books or I'll buy them and give them away. I loved the interview

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home