Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Buzzin' about with Brenda Farrar-Ejemai

Hello Brenda! Thank you for the opportunity to spotlight you on All the Buzz.

First, tell me more about The Family In the Car.

The Family In The Car is a documentary about my family’s experiences while we were homeless. The documentary time-lines that period in our lives. It describes our experiences from living in our car, to finding a permanent home.

What is the message that you hope to convey to your readers?

The message I hope to convey to others is that even when life seems to be at its toughest point, that it’s not the end of life. Even if things are unbearable, don’t give up, or give in. You will look back and wonder, “How you got over”. Another important message I wish to convey is that the face of the homeless is changing. The message is that the homeless is not only criminals and mentally ill. Homeless can involve the middle class, as well.

What was the hardest part about writing this story?

The hardest part about writing this story was putting our names in it. When I first started writing it, I was writing it as a novel. Then in 2004, I was prompted to go ahead and put our names in it. Before that, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to disclose that part of my life.

What has been the response so far to The Family In The Car?

The response has been encouraging. People have written to me explaining how they have gone through the same or similar experiences, and that they were happy about the book being published.

What obstacles have you faced in your literary journey, and how have they affected you?

I think the hardest obstacle I’ve faced is financing the promotion of the documentary. Although I know this topic is relevant and timely for this point in time, it has been costly to get the information out the way that I would like to.

Why do you write?

First, I write because it’s my purpose. It’s why I am here on this earth. Also, I write because I can say whatever I feel to say. When I write, I feel free. I can vent about the things that I’m going through that I don’t like. No one can dictate to me what I can or cannot write. I love the freedom it gives me.

When you’re not writing, what keeps you busy?

When I’m not writing I’m promoting the book. I am also a board member of the United Black Writers Association. I’m the Training Director, so I’m always going to meetings and conducting trainings. I’m also invited a lot to speak at conferences. On top of all of that I teach school. Oh, I can’t leave out that I love to travel.

What is the one book that has most influenced your life, and how did it impact you?

The one book that I can think of at this moment is, Rich Dad, Poor Dad. It has taught me the basic skills about money management. It has influenced me to take charge of my financial health.

Who are some of your favorite authors?

Amiri Baraka and James Baldwin are a few of my favorite author.

What’s next from Brenda Farrar-Ejemai?

My next project is to put together a compilation of stories about people’s experiences in the foreclosure epidemic.

Thank you again for allowing me to spotlight you on All the Buzz! It has been a pleasure, and I wish you continued success in all that you do.

1 Comment:

  1. rhonda mcknight said...
    I read Rachel and Her Children a book about homeless families in New York City by James Kozol about ten years ago and honestly the poignant stories have never left me. I will definitely be getting your book. Thanks for having the courage to share it. The next projects looks interesting as well.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home