Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Buzzin' about with Dwan Abrams

Hello Dwan! Thank you for taking time out of your busy schedule to chat with me on All the Buzz.

Please tell me more about Divorcing the Devil.

Divorcing the Devil involves psychoanalyst, Skyler Little. For Skyler, it’s not easy being a psychoanalyst and a Christian. Sometimes it’s hard not getting drawn into her patients’ personal lives filled with adultery, abuse and turmoil. Yet, she remains steadfast in providing them with the best in Christian counseling. She even counsels her friend, Gabriella, who has just learned that her husband is cheating on her.

But when Skyler learns the identity of the other woman, things spiral out of control and she is now caught in the middle. Can Skyler get herself out of this situation? Can anyone be spared when you try to divorce the devil?

Is that title, Divorcing the Devil, symbolic in nature? If so, how does it apply to you personally?

The title is symbolic in nature. I believe that we all have a “devil” in our life that we need to get rid of.

Your previous novel, Only True Love Waits, was not Christian Fiction. What prompted the change to writing in the Christian Fiction genre?

Actually, Only True Love Waits was inspirational fiction. My first novel, The Scream Within, was not Christian/Inspirational. After writing that novel, I met a bestselling Christian fiction author and read my first Christian fiction novel. I loved it! That’s when I truly discovered my calling. I no longer had the desire to write secular works.

In addition to being a published author, you are also in the publishing industry. How do you successfully manage both careers?

Writing is a part of who I am. I would write whether I got paid for it or not, and I have. So for me, writing is my passion, as well as my purpose. I honestly don’t consider it work. In regards to my publishing company, Nevaeh Publishing, I believe that to whom much is given, much is required. I know what it’s like to be self-published and traditionally published. Because of that, I have a good understanding of the industry. I use my experience to help other authors realize their dreams. Since I love what I do, it’s not difficult to manage.

Which venture came first, writing or publishing?

Writing. I didn’t know a thing about publishing when I published my first book. Which do you enjoy more? Writing for sure. I like any opportunity that gives me creative freedom. I refer to writing as a pound cake. It tastes good all by itself. Publishing is more like icing. It’s sweet, but not required.

Since you have experience on both sides of the literary industry, what advice would you give to aspiring authors?

For aspiring authors, I would tell them to hone the craft. Don’t submit a draft or improperly formatted manuscript to a publisher. Also, I would encourage them to work with a professional editor. Established authors know the value of a good editor.

Who are some of your favorite authors and how do they influence your works?

I read a lot of books, so it’s difficult to narrow down a few as favorites. However, the authors that have several of their titles on my bookshelf are: Eric Jerome Dickey, E. Lynn Harris, Kendra Norman-Bellamy, Tia McCollors, Sherri Lewis, Mary Monroe and Marissa Monteilh. I don’t think they necessarily influence my works. However, I think that the more you read, the more you learn.

Do you have a story inside of you that is just dying to be written, but you have yet to write it? If so, why haven’t you written it?

I do have a story just like that. I even have the title and the main character. I haven’t written it because I’m currently working on part one of a trilogy. After I finish that book, I have a third book option with my publisher for a 2010 release. Long story short, I have two manuscripts ahead of that project. Maybe even four, depending on when part two and three of the trilogy become due.

What has been the most rewarding, and the most painful, experience about your literary journey thus far?

The most rewarding part of my literary journey thus far would have to be receiving emails or phone calls from people in different states telling me that they saw my book somewhere. I also loved the first time I saw my books on display in Borders. That was exciting. I don’t know if I would say I’ve had painful literary experiences; more like disappointing. A less than favorable review could be disappointing.

What are three things your fans don’t know about you?

I really like vanilla ice cream with rainbow sprinkles. I don’t maintain a traditional work schedule. I used to schedule my college classes around the Young and the Restless.

Thank you again for chatting with me on All the Buzz! It has truly been a pleasure and I wish you continued success in your every endeavor.

Thank you for having me.

1 Comment:

  1. rhonda mcknight said...
    Great interview with Dwan. I'm looking forward to her book release.

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home