Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Buzzin' about with Kim Shaw

Hello Kim! Thank you for the opportunity to spotlight you on All the Buzz!

First, tell me about your current release, The Foreigner’s Caress.

The Foreigner’s Caress is the “sister” story to my September, 2007 release, Soul Caress. In The foreigner’s Caress, the heroine, Madison Daniels, who is the younger sister to Soul’s Kennedy Daniels, is attempting to move past her wild, party girl reputation and find a more meaningful purpose in her life. She settles down in New York City and is comfortably getting herself together when she meets Stevenson Elliott. Stevenson is the son of a British billionaire. The Jamaican born Stevenson is immediately drawn to Madison and it doesn’t take long for the passion to ignite. Unfortunately, both of them have pasts that threaten to derail the romance and both will have to do some growing up in order to make it work.

How do you choose the titles for your novels?

Each title comes about in a different manner. Sometimes, I have the title early on either from a song, or a phrase I’ve heard somewhere and have to consciously work it into the story. More frequently, I finish the book operating under either a working title or no title at all. Afterward, I read through the manuscript from start to finish and find a thread that sort of stands out.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?

Write as much as you can and read as much as you can. Learn your craft by doing it and studying others who do it. Surround yourself with writers by attending conferences and participating in workshops, neither of which have to be costly. Finally, do not try to control the story – let it come through you however it chooses to.

Do you ever suffer from writers block? If so, how do you get past it?

Because I, like most people, juggle life’s various obligations, I find that when I’m most fatigued or stressed, the first thing to suffer is my writing. At those times (and unless I’m under deadline) I don’t stress about not being able to write. I take those moments to read more – magazines, novels, etc. It helps tremendously because first, it relaxes me and second, it clears my mind of the road blocks, both real and imagined.

What dreams of yours have been realized thanks to your writing career?

The biggest dream to be realized is just seeing my name on books on the shelves of bookstores. It is also pretty amazing to have readers write to me or come up to me to say that my work has impacted them in some way.

When you’re not writing, what keeps you busy? What are some of your favorite things to do?

As a teacher, wife, mother and graduate student, I’m busy from the moment I open my eyes every morning. I have to admit, though, that I enjoy the crazy schedule I keep. However, when I have down time, everyone who knows me would say I love nothing more than lying in the middle of my king size bed, remote in hand, snacks on the headboard watching a movie with one or more of my family members!

What are you currently working on?

I’m working on two things. One is a romance between an East Coast entertainment lawyer and an actress, written from the male’s perspective. The other is a collection of short stories that I will submit as my thesis for grad. school next spring and hopefully get published later on.

What was the one book that most influenced your life and why?

I don’t know that I can narrow it down to one. I will say that in my late teens/early twenties Toni Morrison’s work influenced me greatly because of the sheer lyricism of her prose. I think I became aware of my love of language as a result of Ms. Morrison. Later on, the work of Terry McMillan and other African-American novelists in the 1980’s and early 1990’s helped me realize that I could actually pursue a career in writing.

What are three little known facts about Kim Shaw?

One -- I’m a foody. I L-O-V-E food (especially sweets).

Two – I was very very shy growing up, and still am to a certain degree today. People who know me vehemently reject that testament.

Three – Though I act like I can do it all, I don’t really have an ‘S’ on my chest.

Growing up, what were some of your favorite books?

Go Ask Alice, Sula, The Bluest Eye, all of the Judy Blume books, . . . the list goes on.

Thank you again for chatting with me on All the Buzz! Many blessings to you and yours!

Thank you and same to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home