Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Buzzin' about with Nathasha Brooks Harris

Hello Nathasha! Thank you for the opportunity to spotlight you on All the Buzz!

Hello to you. Thanks for having me on All The Buzz. It is my pleasure and honor to be here.

First, tell me about the literary offerings of Nathasha Brooks-Harris.

My first romance novel was a full-length called Panache. It was set in Texas and featured my favorite hero yet, Chase Thomas—a sexy, wealthy cowboy/executive type. My next couple of books were my Can I Get An Amen anthologies. There were two: Can I Get An Amen and Can I Get An Amen Again. They each had four novellas written by 3 other authors I invited to write with me. Together, we crafted tales that took place in the fictional Red Oaks Christian Fellowship in Red Oaks, GA. There, men and women found love and God—with the help of Mother Maybelle, the feisty and nosey matchmaking church matriarch. She’s like a mix of Madea, Sister Betty, and any wise old elder who’s fun-loving an wisecracking. Our anthologies were contemporary romance with Christian themes in them. I also contributed an erotica story to an anthology called Erogenous Zone. That was a departure for me, but it was a fun change from what I usually write. I also have an essay about literacy in a book called Gumbo For The Soul.

How long have you been writing?

I’ve been writing since I was a little girl, but professionally since 1987.

Have you always wanted to be a writer?

Yes, as far back as I can remember. It seems that everything in my life has prepared me for writing.

What is the hardest part of writing for you?

The hardest part of writing is selling it! There are so many writers, so many books, and people with too little money for luxuries. All of us are competing for the same readership. My challenge is how to get readers interested in my work and keep them that way.

How do you come up with ideas for your novels?

My ideas come from everywhere: the news, gossip I hear inspires ideas, artwork I see, and plots often come to me naturally.

Do you write for a particular audience, or is your first priority to satisfy your own creativity?

A bit of both, I’d say. I write what I think readers would enjoy and what I enjoy writing because I have to live with it for many months.

What challenges have you faced in your literary journey? How did you overcome them?

My biggest challenge so far has been getting back on track after losing my mother. I didn’t write or promote for a full year in 2007. She was very ill and later died. I was her caretaker. It was hard to even think about writing—much less do it. After she died, it was even worse because I felt as if I was on autopilot. Many times, I didn’t know if I was coming or going. I was just plain lost! I didn’t care about writing or traveling to promote. I couldn’t. Two weeks later, I lost my dear friend, Katherine D. Jones—also an author. This year’s Romance Slam Jam will be my first time in public doing “author business.” It’s bittersweet and scary because it has been so long. I overcame that with the support of my friends and allowing myself the time and right to grieve.

What is the best piece of advice you have received, from either a fan or a fellow author?

The best piece of advice I’ve received was from author Grace Edwards. She told me something a long time ago that still holds true today. She told me that when it comes to critiques, don’t take them personally. She said to take from it what I can use and discard the rest. That was the greatest advice and it has transcended time!

If you could create a perfect day, what would it consist of?

My perfect day would be to write full-time, create my dolls, have meditation with God, and come home to a good loving husband and children.

What’s next from Nathasha Brooks-Harris?

Wow, I’m hoping many more novels are next, some stage plays, and a gig writing for a soap opera. My choices would be As The World Turns, Guiding Light, or Young & The Restless.

Thank you again for chatting with me on All the Buzz! Many blessings to you and yours!

Thanks for inviting me. It was good fun. May all of God’s richest blessings be yours!

2 Comments:

  1. Niambi Brown Davis said...
    I wish you all the best, Nathasha - you're one of my literary angels.
    Niambi
    TheGRITS.com said...
    Hey Nathasha sis!

    It is so-o-o-o-o good to see you here on All the Buzz and to catch up on what's happening in your life. Excellent interview sis! Take care and I wish you continued success with all your endeavors!

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home