Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Buzzin' about with C. Kelly Robinson aka Xavier Knight

Hello and thank you for joining me on all the buzz, chatting about your newest release The Things We Do For Love.

First, it has been a couple of years since your last release. You’re back now, writing Christian fiction under the pen name Xavier Knight. Why the pen name and switch in genres?

The switch in genres was really overdue. I have always tried to weave my Christian faith into my books, though the intensity of the message varied from one story to the next. After THE ONE THAT GOT AWAY, I was ready to tell stories from a more mature place and without limiting the portrayal of spiritual faith in characters’ lives. This move gives me the chance to do that.

The pen name was a call made by my agent and publisher. I think the idea was a new name for a new genre, but eventually the decision was made to promote that I am C. Kelly Robinson for the sake of my loyal readers.

Tell me more about The Things We Do For Love.

This is the story of two women who are faced with terrible betrayals in their marriage, and have to decide whether their Christian faith is leading them to stay with their husbands. Dionne and Suzette’s husbands are lead singers in a gospel group, and despite being sincere Christians each has fallen in a way that brings great scandal to the group.

What did you find most challenging about writing in the Christian fiction genre?

You mean it’s supposed to be challenging (smile)? It was really freeing for me, frankly, to write about characters who are reading scripture and praying to God even as they deal with very real sin in their lives and the lives of those they love. I will say that I had to be more rigorous about using scripture references and communicating a coherent spiritual message than with my other books. Simply spinning an entertaining story is insufficient when you’re trying to nourish the soul.

Are you hoping to expand your fan base by writing in a different genre?

I have really had to move beyond concerning myself with expanding my fan base. One thing I learned after years of touring the country and taking out a home equity loan to fund promotional activity, is that I can’t meaningfully control my sales volumes without promoting full-time and spending money that should now be invested in my daughter’s college fund, not to mention my 401K! I leave the size and shape of my fan base to God.

Will you ever publish under C. Kelly Robinson again?

I expect that I will. For one, the door is opening for me to do some ghostwriting and co-writing, so my nonfiction books at least will carry my “real” name.

Of all of your novels, which is your most and least favorite, and why?

The sentimental favorite will always be BETWEEN BROTHERS. You never forget your first. It still amazes me to recall how thrilled I was when I first drafted that book. I had always believed I would write a book someday, but to know the talent was really there was life-changing knowledge for me. As far as a least favorite, I don’t have one – they’re all special to me in some way and I know I worked hard to make them quality books.

What personal challenges have you faced during your literary career?

The simplest way to answer, is that there is no professional joy I get like that I get crafting a story. From the day the books ship to the stores, though, it gets very challenging. You have to compete with hundreds of thousands of other publications, you rarely get a large promotional or touring budget, and you have three months at best to make your mark. I love writing and will encourage my daughter and any other children to pursue it, but I will also warn them against ever relying on the literary field for full-time, long-term income. Financial security in this business is like winning the lottery.

What is hardest part of writing a novel? What comes first, the character or the plot?

I think honing the plot, especially with respect to management of suspense, is the most important step. Beyond that, the hardest phase is doing that final rewrite, when you’re trying to question everything without becoming paranoid.

What are your thoughts on the African American literary industry? Does it seem like it’s more focused on quantity vs. quality?

I’m probably as conflicted as most of my fellow commercial fiction writers and literary writers when it comes to the prevalence of hip-hop and street books out there. I guess it beats putting a gangsta rap CD in a kid’s hands, but it’s still sad seeing the things readers tend to gravitate towards.

Why do you write, and what inspires your writing?

I write in order to explore the ways that we as humans react to life’s conflicts and challenges. A big inspiration tends to be the conflicts that I and others face in real life – for me, the “fiction” comes in depicting the many different ways in which people react to those conflicts and the resulting consequences. One of the things that keeps me at my desk is the ongoing feedback from readers who thank me for telling stories that help them in the handling of their own life’s challenges. It is a real blessing to greatly enjoy something that serves others that way.

Thank you again for taking time out of your busy schedule to chat with me on All the Buzz! It was truly a pleasure! Christian fiction is a favorite genre of mine, and I’ve enjoyed your previous works, so I’m looking forward to reading this new book. Many blessings to you and yours!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home