Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Buzzin' About with Eric Pete

Heyy Eric! Thank you so much for being my first male author spotlight on All the Buzz! I’m a die-hard fan of yours, so it is simply a pleasure to learn more about the man behind Don’t Get it Twisted, Blow Your Mind, Gets No Love, Real for Me, Someone’s In the Kitchen and Lady Sings the Cruels.

First, I know that you were displaced by Hurricane Katrina, which I know had to be devastating. Do you feel that your literary career suffered due to this, or did it encourage you to put even more effort into it?

That’s a difficult question. I think I suffered some setbacks as a result of it, but emerged from it changed and stronger. When looking at the suffering that took place as well as emotional and financial scars suffered by so many, I’m definitely one of the blessed ones. My novel LADY SINGS the CRUELS was begun prior to Katrina when I didn’t realize I would be living before book’s end in the same city where it was set. It was surreal to complete it in my new Texas surroundings.

Are your novels completely fictional, or are they based on real people and events?

For the most part, they’re fictional. I do try to wrap a lot of reality around my characters in terms of locales, events, and the obstacles life may throw at them.

If you could co-author a book with another author, who would it be and why?

Hmm. Wow. The first person who comes to mind is Eric Jerome Dickey as he’s the author who really inspired me to dive into the arena of contemporary fiction. The next person that comes to mind would be my good friend Dwayne S. Joseph as I feel our writing styles really complement one another.

Is there a story that you really want to write, but have not yet, for whatever reason?

Probably my life story. Truth can be stranger and harsher than fiction sometimes. That may be one that I don’t touch. I think I’ll eventually satisfy that sci-fi/action itch or “attempt” to pen some epic tale ala Lord of the Rings.

Are you surprised at the success of your novels?

When I think back to that first book, and knowing that I never set out to be a novelist, YES I am. It always moves me to see the reaction of readers to my words. Of course, that competitive part of me always wants to take it to the next level in terms of readership. I think BLOW YOUR MIND has done a lot towards that.

Have you received many negative reviews, and if so, how you handle the negativity?

You have to have a thick skin if you’re going to be in the public eye. I haven’t received many negative reviews, but realize that you can’t please everyone. You have to look to see if the criticism is constructive or if the story just wasn’t their cup of tea.

We see so many books with the same plots over and over again. Do you believe every story has been told? Have you taken a tried and true plot and put your own spin on it, or do you strive to come up with something that hasn’t been done yet?

Every story probably has been told when you look at it in terms of the history of humanity. What we as writers/artists have to do is take the conventional and put unconventional spins on it. For example, with my second novel SOMEONE’S IN THE KITCHEN, I wanted a book to have a dark, Shakespearean feel to it, but told in a contemporary manner. Sometimes, all it takes is telling a tale from a different perspective to breathe life into it.

What are some writing tips that you would like to share with new writers?

I always beat on the drum to stay positive and to seriously learn the business aspect of being a published writer. Also, there’s always room for growth in your craft.

There have been several authors who have disappeared from the literary scene. Do you think that there may be a time when you will make this decision? If so, what reasons would fuel that decision? Or is your catch phrase “Can’t stop. Won’t stop. Believe that” indicative of your staying power?

With this question, it tells me you’re dialed in to the happenings in this industry. We’re in harsh times where established authors are dropping off faster than I can keep track. A lot of it has to do with the glut of writers on the market, publishers not signing like they used to, and the book business beginning to mirror the music industry (in terms of following what is hot and the pressure to mass produce nothing but the “hot sound” at the expense of all others). Authors’ careers are in the hands of their readers, so if you enjoy reading something, tell another. Numbers dictate so much in terms of what you see on shelves in the future. My catch phrase is indicative of my stubbornness and refusal to give up. These stories will continue to bubble up even without a book deal. That being said, my family and life beyond books are important to me, so I try to keep myself balanced in terms of how I look at everything.

What’s next for Eric Pete?

After BLOW YOUR MIND (which is still in stores!) as well as my contribution to Donna Hill’s anthology ON THE LINE, my next novel (STICKS & STONES) is due in January or February of 09. It should contribute to many a book club conversation when it drops! Just stay tuned to my websites: www.ericpete.com or www.myspace.com/authorericpete .

Thank you again for taking time out of your busy schedule to “chat” with me on All the Buzz. It has been a pleasure and I wish you continued success in all that you do.

Thank you for having me.

1 Comment:

  1. TheGRITS.com said...
    GO Eric! GO Eric! GO Eric!

    I'm just hyena happy and peacock proud of you Eric Pete! Great interview! And you know I wish you continued SUCCESS with your writing!

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home