Blogger Template by Blogcrowds

Pat G'Orge Walker aka Sister Betty in the hot seat today!

Hi Pat! Thank you so much for allowing me this opportunity to interview the one and only Sister Betty!

Speaking of Sister Betty, are you surprised at the success of this character?

I’m a bit surprised by the universal acceptance of this character. I created the Sister Betty persona in the 1970’s. Locally, the character was pretty much well known. It wasn’t until the mid 90’s when I self-published the first Sister Betty short story book that it took off.

When you first introduced Sister Betty, was it done with the intention of turning into a one-woman comedy show?

The Sister Betty One-Woman show was created a long time before the first book was published. It was performed locally and as entertainment for a lot of church programs. Once the books started taking off I had to increase the length and substance of the show. I did so to let readers know that I was not trying to lampoon the church but just hold up a “comedy” mirror so we could change and get back to God’s purpose; the purpose of loving one another in deeds and not just words.

Have you faced lots of criticism from church people who may not agree with the antics of your characters?

Have I faced some criticism; Yes, I have. Has it been wide spread; No, it hasn’t. Most people know many of the characters I portray or write about. In fact, I receive tons of emails and comments from people who had to point the finger at their own lives.

What do you say in the face of this criticism?

When people criticize the “character names” I use, I take it in stride. I pray and ask God for the names and whatever He gives me I use. I didn’t just come up with Sister Ima Hellraiser, Reverend Knott Enuff Money or Deacon Laid Handz out of a box. Each name serves a purpose in exposing flawed Christians. BULLETIN:::: We are flawed!

What lesson do you hope your readers take away from one of your novels?

I want the readers and the people who attend my performances to take away the necessity of our getting back to “Love.” After all, it was Love that went to the cross and Love could have come off the Cross at will; but Love stayed. There are other lessons dealing with gossiping, backbiting, etc. And, of course, I want people to laugh.

Will you ever write a “traditional” Christian fiction novel?

I have traditional Christian stories in my repertoire. However, it’s hard to convince publishers to allow me to deviate while my reader base is growing so rapidly. But the readers will, in the near future, be able to read something a little more serious. Even my current novel, “Somewhat Saved” is a bit of a detour from my normal outlandish comedy. It’s getting great reviews; even from Publishers Weekly. There is talk of it becoming a “collector’s item” and a “must have” for Father/Daughter relationships. But look out for “Adulteress.” It’ll be coming to a bookstore near you.

When you are not being Sister Betty, what does a normal day consist of for you?

No Respect!!! My family still expects me to cook, wash, clean and even take out the garbage.J On a more serious note; I love to write and watch my favorite preachers, (Noel Jones and TD Jakes) on television. I’m a huge Discover, Learning and Animal Planet fan. I’m also a bit of an introvert. I love being alone when I’m alone. And, I love being around people when I’m around people.—go figure J

You’ve been in the limelight for years, first as a singer, and now as a writer? What has that experience been like, and what would you tell aspiring authors and singers?

Wow! I guess I have been in the entertainment arena for quite some time. I come from a family of entertainers. My father was a preacher/pastor/singer and songwriter. One of my brothers played for Motown and Vickie Sue Robinson and for a time the Jimmy Castor Bunch. Another sister, Lorraine, was an Ikette, sang backup for Stevie Wonder and is still singing today. Another brother sang with a group called the Dynamics and there are others. So as for my experience it has been a bit of the good and the bad. Because I loved to sing and perform there were times when I didn’t make good business decisions. However, after a while realization comes to visit and you learn how to navigate the business and walk away with a little dignity and bus fareJ

I would tell aspiring authors and singers to always pray. Ask God to surround you with like-minded people and what is His purpose for their lives. And, they must study their craft… and when that’s done…study their craft. The artistry is always evolving and they must evolve with it without sacrificing their souls and dignity. Seek a mentor; that’s always a good thing.

What are three things that your fans don’t know about you?

Hmmm. 1. I’m a great-grandmother of four. 2. I’m a very loyal and straightforward person. I don’t want people to ask a question that they really don’t want me to answer, honestly. And #3, I suffer from the Peter Pan syndrome. I truly don’t know what I wanna be when I grow up. I’m still on the journey. Although, you asked for three things, I must add one more. I LOVE THE LORD!

Thank you again Pat for chatting with me on All the Buzz! It is a truly a pleasure and hopefully one day soon I can see Sister Betty live and in living color! Many blessings and continued success in all that you do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Newer Post Older Post Home